Welcome to the Portage la Prairie Planning District website. Please navigate through our site and take advantage of the many resources available.
Not sure if your property improvement needs a permit? Permits ensure building codes and bylaw requirements are met to help owners maintain a safe, healthy and well-constructed environment. Permits are not required for all property improvements. However, if you’re thinking of making changes, contact us or check out our website. We will provide you with the necessary information on code and land use bylaw requirements as quickly as possible.
The Portage la Prairie Planning District was formed in 2002 by the City and Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie. The Portage la Prairie Planning District consists of approximately 2237 square kms (864 square miles). The Portage la Prairie Planning District boundaries run from the south shore of Lake Manitoba to Road 54 North and from Road 18 West to Road 48 West. The population is in excess of 20,000. The Portage la Prairie Planning District ensures standardized planning requirements through an updated development plan and zoning by-laws encompassing both municipalities. The Portage la Prairie Planning District owns and enforces the Portage la Prairie Planning District Development Plan. The City and Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie own their respective Building and Zoning By-Laws, however, The Portage la Prairie Planning District enforces both the Building and Zoning By-Laws. The Portage la Prairie Planning District is also responsible for:
- Building Inspections
- Permits (building, demolition, plumbing, moving, signs)
- Planning (conditional uses, development plan amendments, rezoning and variations)
- Zoning Memorandums
The Portage la Prairie Planning District is governed by a six-member Board of Directors consisting of three representatives from each of the City of Portage la Prairie and Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie.
NOTE: The Portage la Prairie Planning District does not guarantee this site to be free of errors and therefore disclaims all responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information contained herein.
The Portage la Prairie Planning District is accepting applications for the following position:
We are seeking for a full-time building inspector to join our team! This position is a full-time position working 7 hours a day Monday to Friday.
- Reviewing building plans for conformity with the requirements of the Manitoba Building Code, Plumbing Code, Building By-Law, or any other relevant by-law or regulations.
- Issue permits such as building, plumbing, moving, occupancy, stop-work orders, etc.
- Performing necessary inspections to ensure compliance with the Manitoba Building Code (building, occupancy, and plumbing) and maintaining inspection reports.
- Monitor and enforce the building and zoning by-laws for the respective municipalities.
- Planning Issues
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Manitoba Building Officials Association certification or willing and capable of obtaining building inspector certification.
- Building Construction trades certificate or equivalent years of experience.
Skills, Abilities, and Other Requirements:
- Knowledge of building construction and materials, related building codes, and legislation.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Function well under pressure.
- A team member.
- Knowledge of Development Plan, Zoning By-Laws, The Planning Act, The Municipal Act, and FIPPA would be an asset.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, resume, and wage expectation by December 3rd at 4:00 pm to:
800 Saskatchewan Avenue West
Portage la Prairie, MB. R1N 0M8
Attention: S. Lynn Anderson
“We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.”